[Zope3-dev] Re: method and content namespaces

Steve Alexander s.alexander@lancaster.ac.uk
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 14:21:44 +0100

Jim Fulton wrote:
> Steve,
>
> I think you added support for method and content namespaces
> for container traversal.  I'd like to change this around a bit:
>
> - There will be standard namespaces:
>
>   attribute -- Any attribute, including methods

How about abbreviating it to "attr" ?

   tal:content="attr/name"

>   item -- Mapping item (not container item unless container also
>           does mapping)

How about "map" or "mapping" instead?

   tal:content="map/foo"

I don't feel strongly either way about these alternative names. I'm just
presenting an alternative that came to mind.

>   accessor -- Name is an accessor function that gets called

Please explain what this means.

>   These can be used with any object.
>
> - I generally don't want individual objects to have custom namespaces,
>   but I can bend on this if we think it's important.
>
>   hm..... Waaa. It probably *is* important.

The container->content pattern is very common to content management.

>   So, maybe containers should provide a content namespace. Hm. I guess I
>   can handle this in a general way.

That would be nice. Perhaps tie this into adapting to IContainer.

> - If no namespace is specified, look in content and then in attributes.

Where do views and resources fit into this?

I expect that it will still be possible to specify custom traversal for
a particular kind of component.

--
Steve Alexander