[Zope3-dev] Re: method and content namespaces

R. David Murray bitz@bitdance.com
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 10:19:43 -0400 (EDT)

On 17 Apr 2002, Leonardo Rochael Almeida wrote:
> >    tal:content="attr/name"
>
> -1
>
> We're no longer using punch card readers or communicating with our
> servers thru 300bps terminals. I'm a Linux only user and a happy one at
> that, but I'd rather be writing /user/binaries, specially since I have
> autocompletion in my shell and in my text editor. I think it was D.

I'm +1 on the attr vs attribute suggestion.  I disagree that typing
brevity for such a commonly used word is unimportant.  Tab completion
is cute, but when you are a decently fast typist, it gets in the
way more often than it helps on frequently typed stuff.  It's *great*
for completing non-system directory names and such, especially when
you forget exactly how you spelled it, but when there are alternatives
possible for a name I type a lot, tab completion just slows me down
compared to being able to simply type a shorter name.  I never use
tab completion for commonly used command and directory names, and
I *love* unix's brevity.  Though I, too, would prefer that 'creat'
be spelled 'create' :).  But don't take my mv or cat or cp or
/usr/bin away from me, please! <grin>

> >    tal:content="map/foo"
>
> +.5
>
> I think that avoiding 'item' is a good think. The word is overused ("see
> I told you I had 3 items in my container, an index_html, a
> standard_html_header and a standard_html_footer!"). Don't know if

I'm about -.5 on this one <grin>.  map isn't bad, as you say you
can view it as an imperative.  But 'attr' <grin> and accessor
(whatever it is) are nouns, and the only nouns I can think of that
describe the elements of a mapping are 'element' and 'item', and I
think item is the preferable.  And unless I missunderstand something,
you *do* have 3 items (in this sense) in your container.

--RDM