[Zope3-dev] brief summary of ZODB4 changes

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@alum.mit.edu
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 09:42:33 -0400

  PKO> [Jeremy Hylton]
  >>
  >> A brief summary of the changes between ZODB3 and ZODB4.

  PKO> Any chance some of this discussion could take place on ZODB-Dev
  PKO> as well as, or instead of, here?

Oops.  I thought I had already mentioned it on zodb-dev, and was just
posting a note here for people who might have missed it.

  PKO> I don't mean to complain, but I'm trying to summarize the
  PKO> results of all the Peristence efforts and I'm finding bits and
  PKO> pieces on so many different lists that it's hard to keep
  PKO> straight.

I've having the same problem.  (Hint on how I cope: I save zodb-dev
and persistence-sig messages in the same folder.)

  PKO> Maybe this is just healthy growing pains, but at some
  PKO> point it would be nice to have clearer boundaries between:
  PKO> Zope, Zope3, ZODB-Dev, ZODB4-Dev (short-lived) and the
  PKO> Persistence-SIG.

Getting rid of ZODB4-dev helped a little, right?  The ZODB
vs. Persistence lists is a bit tricky, because Phillip is the only
other developer with substantial experience using Persistence.  Thus,
most of the posts ends up mentioning ZODB.

In the long run, I'd like to see generic transaction & persistence
issues hashed out on the persistence-sig list.  Then zodb-dev is for
people using the extra features provided by ZODB.

This stuff doesn't cross into Zope space too often, does it?

  PKO> Either that, or maybe I should just give in and only develop
  PKO> Zope apps.  <wink>

You mean there are other kinds of apps?  Don't tell Tim.

Jeremy