[Zope3-dev] Alpha 1 Plans

Alexander Limi limi@plone.org
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 21:03:55 +0100

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002 14:48:58 -0500, Jim Fulton <jim@ZOPE.COM> wrote:

> Godefroid Chapelle wrote:

> OK.  One think I'd like to add is an actions menu. I suggest we make
> accessing
> a service manager an action of a service manager container.
>
> Can you or someone do some thinking about where to put an actions menu?

Let's just put it as a box somewhere until it's more clear how the usual
approach should work. The most important thing is to be able to use the
Rotterdam skin as a full replacment for the original one as early as
possible.

> I'll create an actions menu and put it somewhere in the basic skin and
> then you could just tie it into the rotterdam skin.
>
> I'll then tie the service manager navigation (and undo and find) into the
> actions menu.

Sounds good.

> I'm going to write up some documentation on how this all works. I
> understand that a lot of people were confused by this.  Many people
> are confused by the TTW configuration mechanism. I hope that this is
> partly because I showed a bunch of features and steps that you don't need
> all
> the time and made it look harder than it is.  In my writeup, I'll explain
> the goals I'm trying to achieve so maybe someone can suggest better UI
> designs for it.

I discussed this at length with Guido; it seems that the best approach is
to try to make it a two-step process:

1. Select a service to add
2. Service is added with the most used settings, in deactivated state.
There is an "Advanced" view that you can tweak the details if you want to
before you activate it, but in most cases you just flick the switch, and
the service is running.

If we understood the whole thing correctly, it isn't that hard to come up
with "typical" settings for each of the services, and we loose none of the
functionality as all settings of a service can be changed after creation of
the service anyway.

This *will* require some programming though - but the way I understood the
whole process, there was nothing stopping us from maiking it as simple as
this with some extra work on the programming side of matters.

On a different note, I forgot to sign the CVS commit papers in my fever-
induced state at the Sprint, is there anywhere that I can download a copy
and fax you?

--
Alexander Limi
http://limi.net