[Zope3-dev] Re: The Proposed Catalog Sprint Agenda is available

Casey Duncan casey_duncan@yahoo.com
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 09:06:40 -0800 (PST)

--- Matt Hamilton <matth@netsight.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Jim Fulton wrote:
>
> > > The proposal says nothing about when indexing
> occurs,
> >
> > Yup. This is an important detail that we should
> work on hashing out
> > next week. :)

As if I haven't thrown in enough cents on this
already, I wanted to toss in a few more:

A cataloging service or utility should IMO be a
collection of several lower level ones. So far, I can
identify the following subcomponents to a catalog (or
ancillary to it) that would be useful to have as a
separate utility or service for those of us
implementing other catalogish type things, or just
embedding relational or indexing functionality in
something else:

  * EventChannel, which I think Tres has done a good
job defining for us.

  * ObjectReference, Some reasonable way to point at
an object and say "that's the one", should plug into
the EventChannel to stay up to date.

  * AttributeCache, which performs the function of
current catalog "Metadata". I think Metadata is a bit
of a misnomer in this context, so I would like to see
it disappear. Also plugs into EventChannel.

  * Index, analogous to the current FieldIndex,
TextIndex, et al. Plugs into EventChannel.

  * Query, an object based query representation, like
the one in pythonindexer, or similar to the
IndexQuerySet proposal (generalized as per Shane). Any
desired minilanguages, such as SQL subsets, XPath, etc
could be built on this. Not that I advocate such
things 8^).

On another note, can we loose the enigmatic Brain
terminology while we're at it? 8^)

-Casey