[Zope3-dev] Opera url parameter troubles

Tres Seaver tseaver@zope.com
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 11:41:13 -0500

Chris Withers wrote:
> Fred Drake wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 16 Feb 2002 17:36:15 -0600 (CST)
>> sean.bowman@acm.org wrote:
>>
>>>POST /RolePermissionsManagement;view/action/ HTTP/1.1
>>>
>>Until recently, Python's urlparse module got it wrong too.
>>Using parameterization on path segments other than the last
>>is probably poorly supported in general, simply because it
>>hasn't been used a lot, so browser support for it has been
>>poorly tested.
>>
>>It doesn't help that the RFCs have changed over time, which
>>only serves to complicate implementations.
>>

> To me, this reads as "this is bad, we shouldn't be generating URLs that have
> parameters in anything but the last section"
>
> What do other people think and how do we get around it?

I disagree;  bending over backward to cater to non-compliant
browsers is a recipe for disaster.  Unless somebody can come
up with a namespace discrimination scheme which sucks less,
of course;  we wrangled about this for quite a bit:

<http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/ExplicitNamespaceControlInURLs>

Tres.