[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope 3 learning curve?

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 15:28:08 +0000

Stephan Richter wrote:

> Well, the interfaces are the easy part; but how is it all going to work
> together? That is the more interesting question.

Adapting interfaces to talk to each other ;-)

> >  That said, ZC may have trouble
> >outsourcing the whole development burden to the community; if that
> >happens, Zope
> >will either die as people will move to other, better supported, tool sets or
> >people will stick with Zope 2 until something better comes along...
>
> I disagree. I am very interested in helping to develop Zope 3, since I can
> put in some of my personal experiences, such as making Formulator one of
> the core components.

Yes, but this illustrates the problem quite well. Not everyone would like
Formulator in the core. Now, if the development is chucked out to the community,
all manner of crap might end up in the 'core' If that does happen, then Zope
suddenly stops being attractive and people migrate to other platforms.

However, if the component architecture does come together, then people will eb
able to pick and choose which components to use much mroe easily. This, I'm
hoping, will mean they can swallow as much or as little of Zope as they like and
just pick and use the bits which they find useful.

> I disagree. I am now already devoted to Zope for 2.5 years. And with every
> minute I spend coding for or within it, I get more involved. If the Zope
> community would only consist of cowboys, we would be in bad shape.

Well, Stephan, you are an exception there ;-) I didn't necessarily mean cowboys
in a bad sense. I class myself as a cowboy; I only have time to contribute it
short chunks if they help the business I'm doing...

cheers,

Chris