[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 ids, names, and unicode

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Mon, 20 May 2002 15:10:53 +0200

Jim Fulton wrote:
> Martijn Faassen wrote:
[snip]
> > Well, I'd say ids in Zope, as they show up in urls at least, can have
> > a meaning. They don't have to have a meaning, but it's rather nice
> > that they *can* (it makes for readable urls among others). Very similar
> > to file names, which don't have to have a meaning, but it's rather nice
> > that they can.
>
> This is more than just nice.

Agreed. I'd complain a lot if Zope were to adopt weird urls.
I mean, even the ';' thingy in URL is already raising storms, imagine
what would happen if we were to say Zope 3 only has 15315353abxf15135 :).
This also sort of hooks into the whole REST versus SOAP debate, where
the SOAP approach would be equivalent to the weird URLs (or no URLs at
all, but URLs that opaque aren't *real* URLs anyway..)

> It's a major advantage of Zope over most
> other systems, at least for languages that allow meaning to be expressed
> in ascii. :)
>
> Hm, this is kinda deep. Is there such a thing as a meaningful URL in
> Japanese?

It's interesting; I didn't fully realize some languages can't have meaningful
names as they stand now, until this discussion.

Regards,

Martijn