[Zope3-dev] RoadMap

Gary Poster gary@modernsongs.com
02 Nov 2002 11:19:01 -0500

Thanks Tom and Godefroid!  Here's some of what I know about all this.
The other information may or may not be useful, but particularly look at
EventService, ObjectHub, and IndexService

On Sat, 2002-11-02 at 03:24, Tom Deprez wrote:

>  Features
>
>       - An initial management interface including folders and various
>         content types such as files, images, DTML pages, ZPT pages,
>         and SQL scripts.
>
>         It is likely that the default interface will be ugly. We
>         encourage folks to help us beautify it.
>
>       - A framework for configuring and installing file-system-based
>         products.
>
>       - A through-the-web configuration and development system based
>         on services. Services are similar to CMF tools except that
>         they are managed in service managers, rather than in folders.
>
>         A number of predefined services will be included:
>
>         - Simple authentication service (similar to Zope 2's
>           original user folder).

There is one on the head, I know... not sure who's behind it.

>         - Event service.

I'll claim a chunk (a current majority?) of the event service; I did the
currently-checked-in placeful version and massaged the placeless one.

 - status: working placeless and placeful prototypes, decent number of
tests.
 - needs: UI (and even what its UI should accomplish); pattern of
adapters that send events to the event service when folders and other
objects change (I think Jim told me there were some of these on one of
the branches)
 - wants (IMO and to be discussed on the list at a later date):
automatic integration with event channels (this is a bit of an
optimization: thus, "wants" and perhaps beta.  I think it is important,
though.)
 - definition of service: contact me if you need one.

>         - RDB Connection service. This is used to manage database
>           connection objects used by SQL scripts.

One on the head...Not sure who.

>         - Translation service, to manage software (as opposed to
>           content) translation services.

One on the head.  Is this Florent?

>         - Caching service.

Steve A. and Code Works?

>         - Site error reporting service (like Zope 2's site error log)

this is checked in on trunk; done in India, I think

>         - Browser ID service
>
>         - Temporary Data service (similar to a Zope 2 temporary
>           folder)
>
>         - Session service
>
>         - Virtual host service

FWIW I'm interested in helping on this (anyone else?) but I don't think
any work has been done on it.

>         - Role service

This is checked in and works; I massaged it in the spring but I don't
know who did it.

>         - Interface service, for browsing and changing configuration
>           by interface.

branch, India...

>         - Adapter service

Placeless is done; Placeful is in a branch (India) ...

>         - View services

Placeless is done; I don't think placeful has been started (?)

>         - Some of mail delivery service service
>
>         - Object Hub, which tracks object locations, allowing
>           location-independent object references

Steve Alexander, Godefroid Chapelle and I have focused on the ObjectHub
(anyone else?).  I've done the most recent work, I think.

 - status: working version
 - needs: UI (but I'm not sure if it needs much of one); decisions on
how to integrate with certain clients (i.e., may yet have to be a
container w/ plugins)
 - wants: decisions on how to integrate with indexing
 - definition: contact me if you wish; to some degree TBD

>         - Indexing service, supporting pluggable indexes and searching
>           and lightweight metadata for results

Steve Alexander, myself, and ???

 - status: we sure have talked about it a lot :-). Jim has stated that
this must be done and done relatively well by end of Rotterdam sprint;
Steve and I are keen on trying to get our ideas in now, therefore, so
you will hopefully see some significant work on this soon.
 - needs: an agreed upon plan; probably will need a couple of prototypes
for us to discover what designs work.
 - definition: contact me if you wish; to some degree TBD

>         Through the web development will take place in packages, which
>         can contain:
>
>         - Persistent python modules
>
>         - Templates
>
>         - Component instances
>
>         - Configuration objects
>
>         Configuration objects are used to configure component
>         instances and component factories and register with the
>         appropriate services.
>
>       - A file-system synchronization system.  Initially, this will
>         use a CVS-like command-line tool.  It allows objects to be
> checked out
>         of Zope to the file system, modified and then checked back
>         in. Objects can be added on the file systems and changes made
>         in the database and on the file-system can be merged.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> The annoying roadmappers :-)

Not annoying! :-)

Thanks to you