[Zope3-dev] Development methodology (Re: [Zope-CMF] Future CMF)

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 11:26:06 -0400

Max M wrote:
> Chris Withers wrote:
>

>> I've long had the feeling that Wiki's appear to bve a very nice
>> solution to this class of problems but just don't work in practice :-(
>

> Well I wrote quite a long piece on how I thought that a skinning system
> should be constructed. It is based in +10 years of inteface
> design/information architecture experience so I know it isn't quite of.
>
> (http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/rant%20by%20Max%20M)
>

> I got no response at all! Not even a "That idea sucks, forget it." or a
> "You can allready do that with ZPT" So I am inclined to say that it does
> not work.

Well, I didn't respond because I had nothing positive to say, sorry.
Since you really want feedback:

1) You're solving a different problem from what CMF skins solve.  CMF
skins are meant to separate presentation from code.  Your proposal seems
to have the intent of separating presentation from style.

2) Zope 3 does not use CMF skins.  AFAICT most of your complaints apply
to CMF skins, not Zope 3.

3) The "typical structure" seems too confining.

4) The work on Page Designs could replace the need for any of this.

http://cvs.zope.org/Products/PageDesign/

Shane