[Zope3-dev] Protocol support was [Zope3-checkins] CVS: Zope3/lib/python/Zope/App/OFS/Services/SmtpService/Views - __init__.py:1.1 configure.zcml:1.1

Gary Poster gary@modernsongs.com
28 Oct 2002 23:17:21 -0500

Tim's observations make a lot of sense to me.  Two opinions:

1) The core release of Zope 3, especially as conceived during this ramp
up to an actual release date, should concentrate only on a few
protocols, and we should look at any new protocol proposal with a hard
eye.

2) However, I propose we *should* have a "how to" written for initial
release (perhaps as part of Jim's tutorial) on how to build Zope 3
pluggable protocols.  Work on this should *replace* work on any extra
cool protocols for now.  This document should also be a significant way
for us to evaluate the architecture as we look for things that need
refactoring--that is, the instructions should describe an interface that
is not unnecessarily difficult to implement and connect, and if it is,
we should polish until it isn't.

*If some people are willing to guide me or get me started on # 3 (who?
I know Stephan knows this but is busy at Doctorate) then I'm willing to
write up a first draft.*

----

Does any of this seem reasonable?

Gary