[Zope3-dev] Making a JobBoardEditView, issues

Jeffrey P Shell jeffrey@cuemedia.com
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 18:32:04 -0600

On Monday, September 2, 2002, at 01:26  PM, R. David Murray wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, Jeffrey P Shell wrote:
>> I did write up some experiences late last night as I shifted to
>> playing
>> around with an XML-RPC view, which I plan to play with some more today
>> after some Labor Day festivities.
>>
>> http://radio.weblogs.com/0106123/2002/09/02.html
>
> If you do a HowTo, you may want to note that lib/python/ZopeProducts
> needs to have an (empty) __init__.py.  I checked out ZopeProducts
> from CVS into my lib/python directory and it took me a little while
> to understand the error message I got when I uncommented the
> JobBoardEx inclusion in products.zcml.  Left over Z2 thinking <grin>.
> Or maybe I should check in an __init__.py?

That's a question I was thinking about raising, but I don't know enough
about any magic or special reasoning behind having 'ZopeProducts' be a
specific directory.  I actually have mine in the root of my Zope 3 tree
instead of in ${zope3}/lib/python, and it seems to work fine (after
adding the __init__.py of course).

[SNIP]

> On a different topic, in your blog, in your XMLRPCView subclass
> you do:
>
> 	__implements__ = XMLRPCView.__implements__
>
> Is there a technical or stylistic reason for doing this?  I would
> think leaving it out would be equivalent, as __implements__ would
> be inherited from the base class, right?  If it is important to
> do this, I think I should make a note in the style guide.

I don't know if it's important to do it, but Jim Fulton once described
it as - "I don't necessarily want to implicitly sign on for all of my
parents contracts", so in the view of explicit is better than implicit,
I try to explicitly name contracts I really want to inherit and/or
otherwise intend to fulfill.

> By the way, your link to JobBoardEx is broken (it's relative instead
> of absolute).

Ack!  Thanks for pointing that out.  I can't believe I fell into one of
my most hated HTML mistakes.

--
Jeffrey P Shell
jeffrey@cuemedia.com