[Zope3-dev] Re: MessageID as rocks?

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Sun, 20 Apr 2003 12:05:15 +0200

Godefroid Chapelle wrote:
> >It's tempting to extend test.py with ZConfig so that you can write a
> >configuration file for a specific set of tests.  Then it should be easy
> >to run the tests needed before a zope checkin, whatever those tests
> >happen to be and however you would spell them on the command line.
>
> I am afraid that test.py has slowly become a "big hack".

Agreement here. While extremely useful it is a big hack. I tried to
use it for Forest, an XML database I'm developing, and I only was
succesful when I actually moved all source code into a 'src' hierarchy
like Zope 3 does. Not that this is a bad idea, but it does indicate
inflexibility.

At the same time I figured it was a bug that I didn't see the 'F' and 'E'
indicators anymore when I did a -v run, but then I discovered that the
early error reporting behavior was intentional. Unfortunately there didn't
seem to be any way to turn it off anymore either. :)

[snip]
> IOW I think if we want to add things like ZConfig, it may be worth to
> think of rewriting it completely together with a test suite.

Agreed. Another feature I'd like to see is disabling the testing of
zopeproducts in some way. I guess with zconfig we could have several
testing profiles, one of which would indicate zope core proper and the other
would do all inclusive.

The question that remains is of course who will do all the work. :)

Regards,

Martijn