[Zope3-dev] plus plus at at under under at at under under at at plus slash

Jeffrey P Shell jeffrey@cuemedia.com
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 09:17:52 -0600

On Monday, July 28, 2003, at 11:01  PM, Peter Simmons wrote:

>> I still don't understand all the bloody ++'s.  Is there some
>> different  behavior between ending something  with ``++$1`` and
>> ``++/$1``?  Or is  that between @@foo and @@/foo ?
>

> @@ means view (Jim explained it looks like a pair of eyes :-), so
> @@foo is the foo view on some object, I don't think @@/foo would
> really work but maybe it does, the default view or something, anyone
> know better
>
> ++ is used to define new contexts I think, like ++skin++Melbourne or
> ++etc++Services the part after the ++skin++ is the skin name and after
> ++etc++ the thing inside the etc object. Someone please help that's a
> terrible explaination.
>
> Anyway the idea is that these notations make things more explict. Like
> everything though the more you are saying the more you need to
> understand.

Explicit is good.  I understand the reasons behind all this, and I
understand why the punctuation chosen was chosen.  But I hope that it
doesn't put a serious nail in the coffin of Zope's "pretty URL" scheme.
  Seeing the ++skin++tracker/tracker on zope3.org makes me wince every
time.  Isn't there some way to make that automatic, even within
elements within elements of a site?

For a lot of the applications we deploy, we have administration screens
that are usually in a path called 'admin'.  They often live in or near
the same space as the public site, but has their own look and feel.  I
still want to tell my customers to go to 'www.example.com/admin/'
instead of 'www.example.com/++skin++admin/admin/'.

As a developer, I can get used to typing these things.  I'd prefer that
my users not have to type them or even see them in their general usage
of a site - whether they're using the public side, or our
administration/management interfaces.  So, what I'm hoping for (and I'm
sure this is doable already) is that one can say "when you traverse
through here, the skin order changes to ``showcaseadmin ticketadmin etc
etc``.

J.Shell | Eucci & Co. | http://euc.cx/
http://notype.com/drones/artists/eucci.html