[Zope3-dev] Re: Better access to APIs in paths (was Re: needingviewsclues - template/title troubles)

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 17:45:24 -0500

Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>> Shane Hathaway wrote:

>>> The transition from Zope 3.1 to Zope 3.2 might change the signature
>>> of an important API function.
>>

>> That should be disallowed.
>

> Is it disallowed to add new API functions also?

No.

 > What if I want to know
> whether a bunch of templates I made for Zope 3.2 will also run on Zope 3.1?

You'd have to refer to the api docs for 3.1 and 3.2.

>> You want:
>>
>>   context/foo:bar
>>
>> to be able to have a different meaning depending on the version of Zope,
>> by virtue of using different namespace declarations.  While that is
>> flexible, I don;t think it would be a good thing.
>

> That's a side effect of what I want.  What I want is to know the precise
> environment required for templates.  Simple prefixes aren't always
> explicit enough.
>
> Using namespaces is not extra complexity--it's matching the expectations
> of XML developers and taking advantage of existing URIs.
>
> But you disagree, so I won't press this anymore.

I do disagree, on both counts. I'd like to hear more opinions though.
But I think it would be best to get a proposal, or two for people
to express opinions on.