[Zope3-dev] Package is the wrong name for the things I called "Zope Packages".

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 15:24:43 +0000

Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Chris Withers wrote:
>> Other than that, how abotu using modifiers to distinguish between the
>> various states:
>>
>> Open Bundle
>> Closed Bundle
>> Development Bundle
>> Distribution Bundle
>

> Yes, that's what I've been hoping, although "open" is the same as
> "development".  And I'm not so keen on "distribution bundle".  Maybe
> that's a "product"! (ducks)

To restate part of my earlier confusing addition to the thread,
hopefully a little more clearly:

I like "bundle" for Jim's option 'C' (a package for distribution).

I'm with Jim that a distribution package thing should have a different
name from a development space thing.  Most users will only ever use a
'C', and then configure it.  We should not give them an opportunity to
confuse a 'C' with an 'A' or 'B'.  For Jim's 'A' and 'B', I currently
like "{closed|open} workspace", or even "{closed|open} project".

I don't like "Persistent Package" and "Persistent Module" because they
are too ZODB-developer-centric.  Ideally a TTW developer should not need
to know what persistence is.  I would prefer "Zope Package" and "Zope
Module".  But I suspect I might be alone in that ;-)

Finally, why is everyone ducking when the word "Product" is mentioned?
It has the benefit of already meaning something to most Zope users.

seb