[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 branding

robert boulanger robert@bluedynamics.com
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 23:56:44 +0100

Godefroid,

> I understand your uncertainties about Zope 2 and 3 futures has been
> answered.

They have been answered, and since Jim's mail I believe there will be an=20
official, (where official means accessible for everybody, not only mailing=
=20
list subscribers) statement to that.

> What do you think of the NZO-Plone question ?
>
> I also think that Plone could be a good sign to other than developers but=
> would not fight for that.

Right, thats the next big question, which answers must be divided.
Divided means, that there are some completly different points of view for t=
his=20
topic.

1.) Technical view

Someone will have the technical responsability for keeping NZO up and runni=
ng, =20
Whoever this is or will be, since this person has to live more than any=20
subscribed member with the system whatever it will be, should be asked also.
I also don't want to start a new thread here about technical stuff.

2.) Design View

Regarding some comments to the Open Letter, which are saying "Plone is ugly=
",=20
"all Plone sites look same",  I only can say this is extremly childish and=
=20
not worth to be mentioned any more.=20
We all know, that Plone is highly customizable with the knowledge how to do=
=20
this.
So the NZO mustn't look  like default Plone and this would not make sense=20
anyway. But it should be userfriendly like Plone and look as nice as Plone=
=20
default does.
We all know also (sorry) that the current Zope.org site doesn't look very=20
sophisticated. So I would suggest to hire a good designer with a good=20
usability feeling to design that site.  We at BlueDynamics for example hire=
 a=20
guy called Alexander Limi for such tasks, because  he is the best Designer=
=20
with CMF/Zope knowledge we know.

3.) Strategic View

As mentioned in the letter already, Plone is a great "out of the box" produ=
ct=20
for Zope and I hear more and more about people who came from Plone to Zope=
=20
instead vice versa. In the last week 50% more people joined the 'Plone=20
channel in IRC. I believe public enthusiasm for Plone will grow and grow in=
=20
an exponential way.
This is one point.
Another point which shares also some thoughts for view number four below, i=
s=20
the fact, that Plone is already here and working. It already  has a very=20
userfriendly concept, and if I compare the features Plone offers a member=20
with the one of the current Zope.org site or other plain CMF sites, I have=
=20
nothing more to say.
The Plone community is, as already mentioned also in th Open Letter a=20
friendly, funny and very productive family. It would be a great tribute to=
=20
them if NZO would be realized with Plone.

4.) Busines View

Last not least the costs. As mentioned in 1.) somebody has to write, setup =
and=20
maintan the site. Why write something new. Plone is here and works great.
As a business man I would prefer a product which is here, free, has a wide=
=20
acceptance at the users, and would invest the money I save through this in=
=20
development for my new flagship product or marketing.

As conclusio to this question and the four answers above: I WOULD fight for=
=20
that. Or better I'm already doing so :)

> As Aussum said elsewhere on the list, we need ZC to come in and take a
> decision or lead the community to a public decision.

Guido already mentioned that the community should decide. I think that's ok=
=2E=20
But I think, the party which pays for all this should also do some decision=
s.
If there should be a voting, it shouldn't be a simple yes/no voting, it sho=
uld=20
be at least a form with several (clickable) questions. This because it will=
=20
make voters thinking, instead only to click one button and over, and it giv=
es=20
the chance to get out some trends, preferences and so on from the community.

I CC'd again the two mailing lists, since you included zope3-dev.=20
Nevertheless, I think, we should keep the lists clean from this discussion =
and=20
move it over to zope-web or whatever.

Ok. thats my opinion. I was asked I answered. =20

cu

Robert Boulanger