[Zope3-dev] Number of languages in Zope 3

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 12:44:51 +0200

Chris Withers wrote:

>>> Why do you consider that a desirable goal?
>>
>> And what does "completely" mean anyways?
>
> Fully explore Zope in such a way that is could be used by one person to
> develop a pilot project that might lead to fuller deployment.

You don't need to explore a system fully to develop a pilot project.
You need to explore it enough.

How many languages do you need to know to set up Squishdot with Zope 2
and customise the colours and text and graphics?

I'd consider that one kind of pilot project. It should take the same
effort, or less effort, to do that kind of pilot project with Zope 3.

>> In some situations, Zope sites are managed and maintained by a single
>> person.  In others, there are many people involved.
>
> Under what circumstances would you see these different scenarios playing
> out?

I do not understand what question you are asking.

>>> Everything is ultimately implemented in Python, so you can use that
>>> if you really want to.
>
> What evidence do you have that this is the case?

I have direct evidence that you know Python. Everything in Zope 3 (*) is
ultimately implemented in Python. You can use Python for Everything.

(*) Everything except some very low level aspects of persistence (a
separate library) and proxies. But, certainly "everything" in the sense
of DTML, ZPT, ZCML, ZConfig, which is what we're talking about now.

>>> To avoid the need to know ZConfig, write scripts in python to start
>>> up your Zope process as you need it.
>
> How will the methods to do this be documented?

ASCII characters in files available from CVS, I expect.

I also expect that you will find ZConfig so easy to use that you won't
want to do write scripts in Python to start a Zope process.

--
Steve Alexander