[Zope3-dev] Complexness of Zope3

Phillip J. Eby pje@telecommunity.com
Fri, 23 May 2003 11:31:47 -0400

For some apps, I use even less of Zope than you do.  Currently, just
ZPublisher and DTML!

Keep in mind, though, that Zope 3 is more modular than Zope 2.  I expect to
use more Zope 3 pieces than Zope 2 pieces, and in Zope 3 I'll be more able
to separate them.

I have some of the same concerns about the enormous breadth and depths of
what's in Zope 3.  In some cases, I expect to replace Zope 3 components
with my own, because my needs are much simpler and I don't want to pay all
of the various overheads that come with the Zope 3 components.  For
example, zope.app has a fairly complex set of tools to manage dynamic
adaptation of interfaces to views.  I expect to replace this with a much
simpler, relatively static, context-free adaptation mechanism that should
have better cacheability and much simpler configuration.  I can do this,
because I write applications, and applications don't ordinarily need the
ability to throw random components into random places and somehow all just
work.

If you're an application developer, you need to recognize that Zope's core
audience is non-developers.  Zope is trying to make it easy for them to
build things from components, not to write software.  This often implies
additional system complexity, in order to have ease of use.  That
complexity sometimes gets in the way of the pure application developer,
whose needs are more basic.

On the other hand, there are many benefits to be had from using
well-engineered infrastructure.  In the last six years, I haven't seen
anything better out there than ZPublisher, except for Zope 3's zope.publisher.