[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 Development Cookbook

Stephan Richter stephan.richter@tufts.edu
Fri, 30 May 2003 15:54:22 -0400

On Friday 30 May 2003 15:18, Lex Berezhny wrote:
> Just curious, are the recipes listed in the order they will be written?

No, the order is totally random; well not quiet - I just listed the recipes as
I thought of them.

> It seems that item six (NewContentObject) would be the easiest to write
> for a Zope hacker while being very useful for newbies.

Okay, I can move that up the chain of writing. However, the hellopackage and
jobboard demo products are pretty simple and self-understood.

> I know that Jim is working on a tutorial for creating content objects,
> but his tutorial is so long I've never managed to finish it. What I
> would like is a very concise tutorial on creating a simple address book
> application geared towards developers who already know Zope 2 pretty
> thuroughly. Maybe even explain how the concepts differ from Zope 2 to
> Zope 3. The goal should be to have something working with the least
> amount of work in the introduction of the tutorial and than build from
> there.

I am still thinking of a nice example theme to use. Maybe an address book is a
good choice.

I think the experienced Zope 2 developer should start with most of the
introduction chapters, since they will give you the gist of things.

Something I try to avoid is to make a Zope 2 in comparison with Zope 3 book. I
think this would destroy the flow and conciseness of the writing. However, I
draw parallels from time to time.

> I would love to help out, proof read and test any such tutorial.

Cool, I will keep you in mind! :-) I am planning to work a lot on the book in
the next weeks, so I might have something to review soon.

> Thanks a lot, I think you guys are doing an awesome job,

Thanks for responding.

Regards,
Stephan
--