[Zope3-dev] Re: Starting with Zope 3

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Fri Nov 28 07:53:07 EST 2003

Alec Munro wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I've been watching the development of Zope 3 with interest, and reading
> as many proposals as I could understand. But I only started reading a
> couple of months ago, so I don't feel I have a particularily good
> grounding as to how to start development in Zope 3.

Some of us started coding after a few hours of introduction. Therefore,
don't think you have to read up on a whole lot of documentation before
being able to develop.
Zope 3 learned from the Zope 2 learning experience. Diving into Zope 2
development was really really hard. It only became easier when you went
through a lot of pain trying to understand things. We tried not to let
that happen again with Zope 3!

> I've tried to read
> through the help docs, such as the development cookbook, but while the
> instructions seem to be pretty good, I'm concerned that much of it isn't
> up to date, and might do more harm than good to my primitive
> understanding.

The cookbook is a very good place to start. A few things here and there
might not be up-to-date anymore, but the overall concepts are still
valid. I just scanned through it quickly and didn't find anything that
wouldn't apply right now. Feel free to comment in the wiki any errata
you encounter, though.

> So I'm wondering if there is a particular recommended
> course to start working with Zope 3? I would be quite happy if everyone
> chimed in, especially those recently in my situation.

Probably even before the cookbook, the Python Programmer Tutorial is the
best place to start. It is composed of several chapters. Each chapter is
a presentation. It can be downloaded in the OpenOffice.org format from
the Zope CVS server:
http://cvs.zope.org/Docs/ZopeComponentArchitecture/PythonProgrammerTutorial/

Also, the tutorial will show you that the Zope3 learning curve is pretty
gradual. Please tell us, though, if you've stumbled on anything.

> I really hope I am not misusing this list by posting this here. As it is
> the only Zope 3 list, it seems the ideal place to gather information
> from those experienced with Zope 3.

For now, this is the best place to ask questions (the others shall
correct me if I'm wrong). Also, there are the #zope and #zope3-dev
channels on irc.freenode.net at which you are welcome to ask questions.

Philipp