[Zope3-dev] How to use schemagen?

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Mon Oct 27 19:40:45 EST 2003

On Friday 24 October 2003 20:32, Carl Witty wrote:
> In my Zope 3 snapshot (X3-0.0m3), I see the schemagen directory, but no
> indication of how to use it.  Does schemagen actually do anything yet?
> If so, how do you use it?  (If not, how was it planned to be used?)

I have not used schemagen at all yet. However, I know it is not complete and
it has not been maintained for a while, so I do not know how useful it will
be.

However, there is another alternative to replacing ZClasses via TTW
development. Here is the relevant snippets from the Zope 3 Newsletter 10
(http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope3-dev/2003-September/008405.html):

   TTW Development

     After Sidnei implemented "Mutable Schemas", I started work on
     (and finished) a  schema-based Content Component type for TTW
     development. Coming from the user's point of view we also
     implemented a local Browser Menu Service, which  allows you to
     create new menus and menu items.

     Here is what you can do now in a package:

     1. Create a Utility Service.

     2. Create a Menu Service

     4. Create a Persistent Schema Utility (this begs to be
        renamed). Call it 'IDocument'. Add some fields.

     5. Create a Content Component Definition. Call it 'Document'.
        Find the IDocument schema and set it to the definitions
        schema. Make security assertions as desired. If you like,
        you can also adjust the menu entry.

     6. Go to your Content space. There you should see a 'Document'
        object in the list of available Content Objects. As usual,
        click on it to create the object.

     7. Creating custom views is easy too. Go back to the default
        package. Create a  Page Folder. Tell it to provide views for
        'IDocument'. Create a view and register it with the local
        Browser Menu Service.

I do not know whether these steps are still working, since Parentgeddon landed
since then, but you might ask Sidnei for more details.

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter