[Zope3-dev] Re: Proposal: Component Architecture Simplification (aka adaptergeddon :)

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Sep 23 10:00:42 EDT 2003

Paul Everitt wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>

>> I've created a proposal detailing the long-rumored adaptergeddon at:
>>
>>   http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/ComponentArchitectureSimplification
>>
>> Comments are welcomed.
>

> Is it in scope to add items to the list that are purely in presentation
> space?  I doubt that it is, though the section "Refactor presentation
> components" hints that it might.

Sure.

> The potential items to add to your "Presentation: Views and Resources'
> list are layers, macros, and slots.  These form an informal, implicit
> part of the composite UI system.
>
> I just finished my last article in the ZopeMag series on Zope 3 skins.
> Explaining this part was a bit hard.  Layers aren't declared, they just
> spring into life when they are used on something.

Good point. I have been planning to make layers a bit more formal. In
fact, there's a collector item to require layer declaration. This will
happen as part of the refactoring. I've updated the proposal to include
this.

 > The same is somewhat
> true for the informal system of macros and slots.  However,
> layers/macros/slots are the heart of the UI system, or at least the
> first heart. :^)
>
> It's reasonable to say that this is out of scope for this proposal, as
> layers/macros/slots don't really touch components.

Layers do.  Macros (and slots) are internal to ZPT.  OTOH, I'm sure that
there's room for giving better support for macros. This will require
some creativity and hard thinking. I don't have bandwidth for this myself.
If someone had good ideas *and was willing to take the time to owrk them out*,
I'd be very open to them.  I'm sure there are improvements that could be made
here.

CTO                  (703) 361-1714            http://www.python.org