[Zope3-dev] little-picture thoughts on roadmap

Gary Poster gary at modernsongs.com
Fri Feb 6 22:21:00 EST 2004

In terms of the big picture, the roadmap looks like the right direction
to me.  I have a few small thoughts to add that sort of roam across the map.

- scripter support:

   * I think most of the absolutely necessary items are there.  Maybe
just a "Zope X3 scripting for the Zope 2 user" tutorial, like what
Philipp did for Jim's CA tutorial, describing a few typical skinning
tasks in the CMF and how you would accomplish them in Zope 3.  The best
CMF example I can think of would be to create a catalog search and
result page from scratch: this should involve adding some images for the
search results, adding some CSS, writing a couple of page templates,
hopefully writing some helper Python somewhere, and hooking it all up.
The "hooking it all up" part is where I'd fall over, working TTW, I
think. :-)  I'm sure the information is available in Stephan's text, but
  it didn't jump out at me.

   * As an aside, it seems to me that blocking off the CA model from the
site scripter role (as described in
http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/SiteScripter) is a bit extreme, and that basic
adapters (for instance) are not too hard of a concept for scripters and
would be a reasonable tool to put in their hands.

- Re local utilities and adapters, persistent modules, and file-system
synchronization: in our work, we are going to come up sometime soonish
against a desire to have zcml-like configuration for individual, local
sites within a single Zope 3 instance.  That is, it's going to be
important to be able to manage registrations for local adapters and
skins and utilities via a cvs-friendly, human-readable
mechanism--something that can configure a Zope 3 ZODB from scratch,
something that TTW changes can modify again on the file-system, and
something that can sanely slurp file-system changes back into the ZODB.
  Sounds like file-system synchronization, but I don't think that it's
been conceived of for registration as yet...am I wrong?

- http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/LocationRelatedEvents is hard.  I agree that
this should be a requirement for X3 1.0, but it is the only thing that
looked noticably uncooked in the roadmap, so it made me a bit
worried...both for the feature and for the X3 release.  It seems
essential to invite people to write new catalog, index, and relationship
components, though...

- You said you needed to warn me about vocab changes--I assume that this
  is just converting the service to a utility, which probably won't
affect us too much.  So, cool.  Let us know when. ;-)

Gary