[Zope3-dev] What don't file-system-based developers need

Nicolas Évrard nicoe at altern.org
Wed Feb 11 08:17:19 EST 2004

* Peter Sabaini  [13:54 11/02/04 CET]:

>>>Do file-system-based developers need:
>>>
>>>- Database adapters (SQL database connections)?
>>

>>No, I'm embedding this in my python products.
>
>So you are keeping a database connection open per product?
>I'd like to keep them more centralized, so different classes / class
>hierarchies can share one connection; that would fit in nicely with the
>"service" or "utility" concepts

In fact, my product is an utily, which in turn query his database (I
have not found the time to code this yet, so this might change, but
that's how I will handle it).

The main reason for this is because, I have two frontends for the
database one zope-based and the other one using wxpython. Maybe one day
views will include a wxpython adapter ...

> (if I understood them correctly).

I'm not sure either. I think that I will see more clearly when I'll try
it (unfortunatly I've got to work on a Zope2 project now and I'm already
used to some zope3 thinking).

>>>- SQL scripts?
>>

>>No.
>
>So how do you manage your SQL queries? I wouldn't want to just keep a
>bunch of SQL strings around...

No SQL strings around, I've made a python module who is able to create
SQL queries from a database schema definition. Basicaly I compose a
product with a dbschema and a sqlconnection. This product can now
insert, remove, update its information in the db. You can also make some
dbschema cross-selection (albeit simple ones).

But this product is a work in progress and I feel the need to rewrite it
from scratch.

--
(°>  Nicolas Évrard
/ )  Liège - Belgique