[Zope3-dev] Re: Packaging pre-proposal/notes

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Tue Feb 17 09:23:56 EST 2004

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:

> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>
>> This is an important point: The CVS repository layout *is* the
>> packaging system *for developers*.
>
> For developers of Zope3, not necessarily for 3rd party developers.

What ist he packaging system for 3rd party product developers then? For
their own products, I mean.

>> So please realize that making foo_browser a standard means that if
>> I'm an independent product developer, in my own repository away from
>> Zope 3, I need to check out *two* modules to work on my package;
>

> Or apt-get install it... After all, you're not developing those
> modules themselves but developing *with* them, right?

No, I'm an independent product developer and if I'm to follow the Zope 3
standard and this standard is to use foo_browser, I need to make two
modules in my version control system for each product I develop.

>> This will make tagging and branching a lot harder.
>

> I don't see why you would want to tag/branch Zope3 sources when not
> developing Zope3 itself but your own repository stuff.

Apparently I was not clear enough about being an independent product
developer, developing an extension to Zope 3 in my own repository.

Regards,

Martijn