[Zope3-dev] Re: Bug 358/359, 367 fixed

Roger Ineichen dev at projekt01.ch
Wed Feb 23 21:26:13 EST 2005

Behalf Of Paul Everitt
> Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 12:12 PM
> To: zope3-dev at zope.org
> Subject: [Zope3-dev] Re: Bug 358/359, 367 fixed
>

> I agree.  To address Chris' complaint, we need a little
> background then
> a little discussion.
>
> During the Rotterdam sprint long, long ago, the UI team and the
> sprinters as a whole agreed that the Zope 3 UI should be aimed at
> business users.  It should offer better performance, be more
> attractive,
>   and it was OK to focus on certain browsers.

I think it's still OK.

> (Whether the performance or attractive goals were met isn't
> important to
> this discussion.)
>
> Since then, though, some Zope 3 folks not at that sprint have
> expressed
> issues with the choice.  Ultimately, it isn't clear to me who the
> default Zope 3 web UI is for: users or developers.

Perhaps for both.

> Saying "it look good in all browsers" either means a UI from
> the glory
> days of HTML 3.2, or more work than there currently are UI workers in
> Zope 3.  From a triage perspective, I think we have to be realistic
> about what browsers are supported, and that means a better
> understanding
> of who is and isn't going to use the web UI.

I don't like it to support old browsers in a new framework.
Especialy if old browsers are no option for security reason.
Or does someone really use a ie 4.0 or netscape 4.0 in a company?

I like to have a skin which supports old browsers and perhaps
also accesibilty standards. But the standard skin should have
the target on new technology and performance.

Can somebody make a compatibility list for browsers?
Perhaps we can define this in two groups:

- New feature supported browsers and
- old compatibilty browsers

This means we provide at least to skins.

Regards
Roger Ineichen