[Zope3-dev] Re: favicon.ico

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Tue Mar 1 06:34:33 EST 2005

E. Frerich wrote:
> Hello,
>
> sometimes I find in error reports the message that Zope3 cannot find
> u'favicon.ico'. I assume that this happens together with other errors
> which are reported too.
>
> I have searched for this text in the source but I didn't find
> anything. And I have not so many informations to reproduce the error
> message.

When you go to a website for the first time, many browsers
(traditionally IE) look for site.com/favicon.ico. They simply issue a
request to get that file. If it's not there, they don't care. So, the
error message you see is Zope not being able to traverse to
/favicon.com. It's a regular NotFoundError, a 404 so to speak.

Btw, Mozilla is a little more sensitive and allows one to specify the
location of the icon; it can also be in an arbitrary format, such as
PNG. The Rotterdam skin does this:

   <link rel="icon" type="image/png"
         href="http://localhost:8080/@@/favicon.png" />

As you can see, Rotterdam's favicon is a regular resource, as it should
be. Maybe we should also register it as a view for ISite so that IE will
find it right away. Or does IE nowadays support the <link> thing as Mozilla?

Philipp

P.S.: This is really a matter for the zope3-users list...