[Zope3-dev] Zope X3.1 Feature Freeze

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Mar 18 08:59:34 EST 2005

Lennart Regebro wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>

>> Lets freeze features for X3.1 on April 2.
>

> I was under the impression that it had been under feature freeze since
> the big Stephan Richter merge happened. That was at least the outcome of
> the discussion we had then, that this merge should happen, and XXX
> comments would be removed, and X3.1 would then be released.

That was the intent of some of us, but people have continued
to do new work.  *Some* new work was really needed, but I'm not
sure that that work happened.

There's nothing like a release branch to *really* freeze features. :)

> May I suggest that we retroactively feature freeze it from Febraury
> 15th, which is the day after Stephan tagged the trunk for his merge?

Of course you can. ;)

I don't know how we would do that.  I'm pretty sure that bug
fixes have been made on the trunk since then.  We could probably sort
these out, but it would be a pain.  I'd rather not try to do this.

As a compromise though, I'd be open to freezing sooner that April 2.

BTW, It would be a major pain not to include the new pluggable authentication
utility in X3.1, but it badly needed some finishing.  I don't know if this
happend.

Roger, have you had time to work on this? Or will you before the freeze?
If you, I'll try to squeeze in time.

>> P.S.  Now that that the decision has been made to include Zope 3
>>       in Zope 2.8, I'd really prefer that Zope 2.8 use X3.1 code,
>>       not X3.0 code.
>

> That would be a good thing. If we feature freeze X3.1 last month and
> make the X3.1 branch today, and make an alpha this weekend, this could
> possibly be an option.

I think that 2.8 if far enough off still that a X3.1 freeze April 2 would
be fine.  I really don't want to try and freeze in the past.