[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope X3.1 Feature Freeze

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 11:37:38 EST 2005

[Martijn Faassen]
> We're not expecting this to be done "instantly". But we see the
> requirements swinging from integration of existing components to
> integration of components which are not released yet (Zope X3.1 and
> ZODB 3.4), and the appropriate Five release to support Zope X3.1.

I'm just going to address ZODB here:  Zope 2.8 trunk _currently_ uses
an unreleased version of ZODB (some snapshot of in-progress work
following 3.3.1a1), so moving to a released ZODB version is necessary
in any case.  Someone needs to stitch in released versions of ZConfig
and zdaemon too.

That being so, it's much better to move to ZODB 3.4, and even if it's
3.4.0a1.  If you ship with some version of 3.3, then I can pretty much
promise no support from me if a bug shows up:  I don't have time to
support umpteen versions of ZODB, and virtually nobody in the
community contributes to ZODB.  I barely have a reason to finish 3.3.1
(but do, alas, have one good reason to finish it), and 3.3.1 is
intended to be the last release ever made in the 3.3 line.

Although I must admit, if releasing 2.8 with an ill-defined dead-end
version of ZODB had the net effect that people in the community got
desperate enough to start doing ZODB maintenance work, that could be a
net win <wink>.