[Zope3-dev] Zope X3.1 Feature Freeze

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Mar 18 12:30:09 EST 2005

Lennart Regebro wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>> I'm sorry you feel that way.  I just want relatively clean releases.
>> ZODB 3.4 is needed to fix ZClasses and ZClasses are needed for backward
>> compatibility.
>

> We need ZODB 3.4 anyway, but my opinion is that including the new cool
> path forward for development, and then bending over backwards to provide
> backwards compatibility with a development paradigm that basically has
> been "deprecated" for a long time is well...kinda silly. ;)

As far as I know, we've never officially deprecated ZClasses,
If the community wants to do that, I won't object, but a lot of
people will be hurt.

> I have absolutely no problem with 2.8 not working with ZClasses, and
> letting people that use ZClasses stay on 2.7.

Backward compatibility is very important.  We can't just remove
an important feature just because it's inconvenient to support it.

If someone wants to get rid of ZClasses, they'd better ask the
larger Zope comminity what *they* think about it.