[Zope3-dev] eggifying zc.resourcelibrary, zc.table and others

Gary Poster gary at zope.com
Tue Apr 4 14:10:01 EDT 2006

On Apr 4, 2006, at 12:38 PM, Martijn Faassen wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> * does anyone have any objections if I make eggs for various zc.*
> packages? In svn, this involves adding a setup.py to these
> packages, and to add a __init__.py to the zc package that they
> contain (which contains some egg-specific stuff).

Sounds great!  (I assume the __init__ changes won't cause problems
without setuptools around).  Jim points out that Nathan Yergler has a
script that can generate eggs from zpkg data; you might or might not
find that to be easier.  It's less of an obvious win with these
packages that have little or no zpkg metadata already, but it might
still be quicker in some cases (no idea myself).

> * the setup.py I'll create will only work with setuptools
> installed; is this a problem?

Not from us.  You'd maybe get even more warm fuzzies from people by
making it not require setuptools, but that limitation doesn't bother us.

zope3-dev at zope.org

> * to get the full egg experience, I'd like to have them uploaded to
> the cheeseshop. I could do this myself, but they're not my
> packages. Can I? or does someone else want to do this? I'll of
> course gladly give admin rights for these packages to the real
> creators.

Jim also suggests the new, as-of-this-moment-no-longer-secret http://
download.zope.org/distribution/ as a possible location instead.  All
Zope committers have the appropriate privileges to scp to this
directory.  That's where he will be doing his egg work, at least
until he thinks we have figured out the best way to make Zope eggs.
It can be used a setuptools source.

If you want to use the cheeseshop anyway, that's ok too.

Thanks

Gary