[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 as a reliable platform?!?

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Wed Sep 6 06:41:55 EDT 2006

Jim Fulton wrote:

>> Christian Theune wrote:
>>> Why? Because we keep changing stuff and don't tell people in VERY LARGE
>>> LETTERS about it.
>>
>> Actually, you highlighted the wrong bit, the important bit is:
>>
>> BECAUSE WE KEEP CHANGING STUFF
>
> This is really the central point (or, at least, IMO, the most important
> point) in this thread.

I'm glad at least one other person seems to feel that way ;-)

> Zope 3 was declared ready for production because
> people were using it in production,

A mistake perhaps?

But then, when does something become production otherwise?
I think the temptation to keep polishing would be too strong...

> People who used Zope 3 should have been made aware of these issues.
> Maybe there weren't.

They were, but there are benefits to Zope 3 ;-)

> the messages, but we certainly tried to be informative.  We've also
> tried very hard to be backward compatible.

bzzt.. nope, backwards compatible for a period of time, which is NOT
backwards compatability in my mind. I can still use 8.3 filenames in
Windows XP if I really want. That's backwards compatability and is about
the only thing MS ever did right...

> I do think the rate of change needs to decrease and I'm pretty confident
> it will.  The local-registration changes in 3.3 are the biggest
> remaining API/Architectural change I'm aware of.

Yay! I can only hope. It would certainly help Zope 3 become a much more
easily adoptable framework imho.

> I think that the biggest change ahead will be in redoing the packaging to:
>
> - be egg friendly, if not egg-centric,

But that should change anything w.r.t. actual use, right?

> This will lead to many things moving out of zope.app.

Yay! More breakage :-/

> I think in the future, we should resist minor api tweaks just to improve
> spelling slightly.

+ sys.maxint

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk