[Zope3-dev] Re: pydoc troubles

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Fri Sep 8 09:03:19 EDT 2006

Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Friday 08 September 2006 03:13, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
>> i have a small problem using pydoc to look at the Zope3 source, namely
>> zope.proxy and modules where zope.proxy is included:
>
> Why would you use pydoc? Any conventional documentation tools are useless in
> Zope 3, because they do not take interfaces and component registrations into
> account. Instead, I would be really happy, if people would keep developing
> APIDOC, which serves much better for Zope 3.

I don't think conventional documentation are completely useless. APIDoc
won't always be around for zope.* software, especially when that
software is distributed separately. I see a need developer docs for them.

Of course, we could make APIDoc a lot less zope.app dependent and also
support a static output. The online browsing via ++apidoc++ would then
just be sugar.

Of course, that'd take a lot of resources (which we aren't likely to
have) and it always sems a good idea to at least *allow* third party
software to work with Zope.

Philipp