[Zope3-dev] Re: pydoc troubles

Michael Haubenwallner michael at d2m.at
Fri Sep 8 12:20:02 EDT 2006

Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Friday 08 September 2006 09:03, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>> Of course, that'd take a lot of resources (which we aren't likely to
>> have) and it always sems a good idea to at least *allow* third party
>> software to work with Zope.
>
> The API in apidoc is developed in a way that it supports other output formats.
> I tried to cleanly separate, information extraction, information combination,
> representation atoms and full representation.
>
> I imagine that you could easily build an interface to pydoc using apidoc. If
> the entire apidoc package is too much overhead, then the pacakge could be
> split to support those simpler cases.

Apidoc provides the same information as pydoc, in a different layout and
structured at different levels.

Even more, apidoc adds interface and adapter information due to the
runtime wiring.

Apidoc is limited to the browser and a running zope instance (or a
static copy) atm.

Pydoc can be used from the shell, to write to a file, from the python
interpreter, from inside the zope debugger and through the browser
(running its own HTTP server).

Apidoc provides more information, while pydoc provides more ways to use it.

Michael

--
http://zope.org/Members/d2m
http://planetzope.org