[Zope3-dev] Python version for Zope 3.4 ?

Jeff Shell eucci.group at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 16:33:13 EDT 2006

On 9/28/06, Martijn Faassen <faassen at infrae.com> wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
> > Baiju M wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>   What is the target Python version for Zope 3.4, is it Python 2.5?
> >
> > That's a good question.  I fear it will take a fair bit of work to
> > get to it and, frankly for me there are higher priorities.
>
> I think we'd be okay in not supporting Python 2.5 yet for this release.
> Python 2.5 has just been released, and the 9 months or so will give it
> time to gell out, Python extensions a bit of time to catch up with the
> newer version, and for us to do some experimenting. Linux distributions
> will likely still be supporting Python 2.4 (along with 2.5) at that
> stage as well.

Are you talking not-supporting Python 2.5 at all? Or just not wanting to
require it?

If Zope 3 can't at least run on Python 2.5 within three months of Python 2.5's
release, I don't think that looks good for us. I would hope that by being more
"Pythonic" and free from the old ExtensionClass magic - especially in Zope 3 -
that Zope could keep better pace with Python. But nine months? A year? Can I
expect the developers of toolkits we use, in some cases more heavily than Zope
itself, like SQLAlchemy to hold off on requiring Python 2.5 for that long?

> So unless a volunteer steps up to do lots of hard work between now and
> march next year, let's stick with Python 2.4. Otherwise let's plan it in
> for Zope 3.5 and Zope 2.12

I really really really hope it doesn't take that long to be able to at least
run on Python 2.5: even if it has to be with some caveats or mild warnings.

If security and restricted python / security proxies are the main issue, what
about if one is running Zope sites with absolutely ZERO through the web code -
no page templates, nothing - can't there be a lighter weight security
implementation that wouldn't take half a year of "lots of hard work"?

--
Jeff Shell