[Zope3-dev] Re: ZODB versions / and windows eggs

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Mon Aug 20 13:14:47 EDT 2007

On 20 Aug 2007, at 18:48 , Martijn Faassen wrote:
>> Thanks for noticing. I think we need to adopt a routine of building
>> Windows eggs whenever we make a new release of a package that has C
>> extensions. There aren't that many packages like that (about a dozen)
>> and they hopefully aren't going to have that many releases in the
>> future.
>>
>> I've built Windows eggs for the two you mention now using the MinGW
>> compiler (nobody has objected to it so far, and I figure
>> cheap-but-perhaps-slow eggs are better than none). They're up on the
>> CheeseShop.
>
> Thanks for these newer versions.
>
>> MinGW, btw, is real easy to install and has helped me getting the
>> eggified Zope 3 finally working on Windows when there were no binary
>> eggs on the CheeseShop yet.
>
> I'm worried about mixing eggs built with different systems. How is Jim
> building his eggs? With Visual Studio?

I assume so.

> How solid are MinGW eggs?

So far nobody can tell me, except that Andreas Jung, Hanno
Schlichting and a couple of other guys seem to be able to use MinGW
well.

> Should we really rely on this infrastructure or do we prefer to use
> Visual Studio as a community? As far as I understand the Python
> interpreter is constructed with a particular version of Visual Studio.

Right, and MinGW somehow contains binary compatibility mode so that
MinGW binaries and VisualStudio binaries can interoperate. Don't ask

> It might be wise to ask someone with experience with Python
> development on the windows platform before we commit to one way or
> another.

Sure. I wasn't trying to commit to anything, I was just trying to fix
a problem for myself in an inexpensive and convenient way. If
somebody donated a VS license, heck, I'll take it :).

Seriously, it would be cool if we could build Windows/Visual Studio
eggs in an automated way. Surely buildbot could be used for this, if
somebody would make a machine with VS installed available as a slave...