[Zope3-dev] Some ZPT insights needed

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Sat Jan 6 12:35:19 EST 2007

--On 6. Januar 2007 12:15:19 -0500 Stephan Richter
<srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu> wrote:

> On Saturday 06 January 2007 12:03, Andreas Jung wrote:
>> returns always unicode for non-strings but keeps standard Python
>> strings as they are.
>
> I think we always require to return unicode text within Zope 3,

which is a good policy

> so there
> should never be a regular string in there.

this policy must be enforced? :-)

>> I have some ideas how make resolving UnicodeDecode
>> error configurable but I am not sure if this code should go into the
>> Zope 3 or should remain in the Zope 2 core. Does Zope 3 has to deal with
>> such kind UnicodeDecode errors?
>
> I think this is a pure Zope 2 problem at this point, no? We certainly
> have way  of handling UnicodeDecode errors. If you can show that this
> could potentially  be a problem in Zope 3 as well, I would be for adding
> your UnicodeDecode  resolver to the Zope 3 core.

It's possibly a major Zope 2 issue. However since we are putting more and
more Zope 3 stuff into Zope 2 is becomes also (in some way) a Zope 3 issue.
I just wonder if it would be better to move more logic into the related
Zope 2 wrapper code (making it more fat) or putting  it into the Zope 3
core...
I have to brainstorm about it.

> BTW, weren't you in the room when we had the initial discussions pretty
> exactely 5 years ago?
>
> Yes, you were! :-)
>
> http://wiki.zope.org/zope3/Feb2002InternationalizationSprint

Oh my god :-) Yet some more years we survived with Zope :-)

-aj